We encourage parents to bring in their child for a check-up within 6 months after their first tooth erupts or by their first birthday. Early establishment of a dental home will help develop a positive attitude toward oral health that can benefit your child for a lifetime.
Tips for a Positive Dental Visit
- Schedule 1st dental visit with a pediatric dentist within 6 months after your baby’s 1st tooth erupts or by their 1st birthday.
- Schedule a morning appointment when children tend to be rested and cooperative.
- Try to make your child’s dental visit a fun outing — prepare by playing dentist at home and taking turns laying down to count each other‘s teeth.
- Don’t worry that your baby won’t sit or cooperate at their check up — Pediatric Dentists don’t expect them to! We are specially trained to help kids build up confidence toward a positive experience.
What happens at the First Dental Visit?
Establishing a dental home by age 1 will allow the dentist to teach you about prevention so you can team up with us to help your child be cavity free.
- Brushing & flossing tips
- Oral habit weaning tips and timing
- Diet assessment & recommendations
- Establishing a contact person in case of dental emergencies
- Lap to lap exam